Thursday, January 17, 2008

Pianos and other indulgences

As we were talking the other evening about managing to “get by”, my friend gently needled me about getting by while owning a grand piano and living in a house four times too large for my needs. Well, he’s right about the house, but I take issue with the piano. Yes, I do have my old piano, but that old piano is worn out and is no longer a fine instrument with lovely tone. And I could have paid more for the grand--much more--for a Steinway or a Fazioli. A piano has both intrinsic and aesthetic value. It produces something lovely – almost alive. It provides me with enjoyment, comfort, escape, relief from stress, and company when I can’t sleep at night. And all pianos are not created equal. Yes, it is a grand and thus cost somewhat more than many (not all) uprights. But I have all my life loved pianos, and desired to have one that produced the loveliest sound I could afford. And now I have a modest version of that and I don’t apologize for it. It is my one and only luxurious indulgence. Well, I won’t mention what I paid for my guitar.

No comments: