Friday, December 12, 2014

Seldom-seen son pops in for a visit

It wasn't exactly a happy occasion.  My first ex-husband's wife, step-mother to my sons, died after a long illness.  My son who lives in Delaware made some fast arrangements and showed up to spend five days with us.  I'm sorry for the family's loss, but I was so happy to see my son.

With just 24 hours notice, I pulled together a Christmas dinner.  And for the first time in almost six years, I had all of my kids together at once.  It was fun.  Food was good.  Yes, we had our vegan guest again, and no problem.  I know how to handle that.  I actually did a little less cooking this time and bought more prepared items just for lack of prep time. 

My kids are having a great time spending lot of time with their younger brother.  He lives in Delaware, but his own two kids live in Virginia. Consequently, all of his time off is spent getting his kids for visits and he just hasn't been able to squeeze in a visit for years.  But we're hoping this summer we'll have him and the kids out here.

But for now, just basking in the love and joy of the season and a rare visit with my son.


5 comments:

Bill S. said...

That must have been very nice to have all of the kids together. I was in SLC this weekend to visit with my second daughter and her family for a couple of days. It was very nice.

Bekkieann said...

It's true, the weather has been unseasonably warm. And nice for those who've had to travel. But we have a return to winter today with sub-freezing temps. Glad you got a nice holiday visit with daughter and family.

troutbirder said...

So very nice being all together. Lucky you.... I wish I could have the same but it is not to be.

Bekkieann said...

Aw, that's hard, TB. I hope your Christmas is peaceful and pleasant.

The Blog of Bee said...

I am so glad that you were able to see your son for the first time in years regardless of the circumstances. It is a great pity that you live so far apart. Having said that there were times when I didn't see my parents at Christmas because we were either in the Middle East or Africa and even England whilst they were also serving in other parts of the world, mostly the Middle East but we were never in the region at the same time! The times we did come together were precious and my mother was a great believer in 'celebrate as it falls'. Seasons Greetings to you and yours Bekkieann.