Friday, May 29, 2015

Springtime Birds

Despite my hectic life these past months, I decided to return to filling the bird feeders.  I had stopped during the winter because rats and mice were appearing under the feeders and I just couldn't have that.  I have not seen those unwelcome visitors so far this spring.  But in case I do, I've purchased a system to get rid of the pests without harming birds or pets.  I'll wait an employ that if/when it's needed.

The feeders have been full of the usual suspects: House Finches, Cassin's Finches, American Goldfinches, Lesser Goldfinches, Scrub Jays, Chickadees, Mourning Doves and the annoying Eurasian Collared Doves, and California Quail. Also American Robins who ignore the feeders, but love the birdbaths.  Special visitors are the Lazuli Buntings migrating through, one little Yellow Warbler, Black-Headed Grosbeaks, and a surprise Western Tanager.  And bunches of feisty, competitive hummingbirds.  Wow, what a birdy yard it has been so far.  Here are a few pics:

Lazuli Bunting male
 Lazuli Buntings 3 males and 2 females. I had a couple dozen of these visiting and I put up four feeders of the white millet they love. The numbers are waning now, and I hope a few will stay throughout the summer as they've done in the past.
 Western Tanager
 Black-Headed Grosbeak male
 Black-Headed Grosbeak male

No comments: