Monday, June 4, 2018

More pics from around the yard

The coming week will be in the 90s every day with today reaching nearly 100. But I got out early and planted a little tableau I had been planning.
I had seen this online showing a broken pot with ice plant flowing from it and I wanted to copy it. But I didn't have a broken pot. I think this one does just as well. And I used sedum instead of ice plant. It came in a flat, so I separated out some of the taller varieties and planted them further up, with the plain low-growing sedum at the bottom. I also transplanted some rock crop from a shady part of the yard where it wasn't doing well (to the right of the pot by the crane's head, hard to see). And I planted a small yellow hyssop to the left side.  I think it makes a sweet little tableau. I added direct irrigation points from the drip system. I'm getting pretty good at that as I want to make the best use of the precious water I use.

With the kids out of school and heading to Brazil tomorrow, I was able to get out in the yard very early and work three hours before the heat set in. That is my plan the rest of the month. I still have four grass plants to get in the ground. And plenty of weeding still to do around the yard. It's surprising how much I can get done when I can start so early.

I was more than surprised when one of Alberto's guys showed up at my house this morning. But I just sent him away as I'd already fixed the sprinkling system myself.

Managed to get a few more pictures from around the yard today.
 The hot, sunny southeast corner is putting on a color show.

 Along the east sidewalk, the Jupiter's Beard and catmint are most in evidence. I planted quite a few new things along this walk this spring in two main areas separated by a large clump of guara. I tried to plant the same plants, more or less, in both areas: salvia, yarrow, blanket flower, pin cushion, coreopsis, artemesia and grasses. Behind the second area I added cone flower, bellflowers, and white salvia. Everthing is getting directly watered from the drip system and everything seems to be putting down roots and thriving.

My yard work over the past five weeks is paying off big time with beauty all around the yard. More pics to come.

No comments: