Wednesday, December 6, 2023

Boxes, boxes, boxes

 I've been moved in for nearly two weeks and I'm still unpacking. What is all this stuff? I seriously need to get rid of a lot more stuff. I have found the important things, like the coffee maker and most of the dishes and glassware. But there are still more boxes that say kitchen.

And I'm tired. Getting Covid right before moving left me feeling tired, with a persistent cough, still, after almost three weeks. Some days I can only manage a couple of boxes and some days I'm an unpacking machine. I have no deadline and just have to listen to my body.

Frankie isn't loving the new house yet. He still wants to go out the garage door instead of the back door when he asks to go out. I don't think it's because he doesn't know. I think it's because he's hoping we get in the car and drive back over to my son's house that was full of people, dogs, noise, and fun. I'm a sorry substitute for all that.

In the meantime, somebody bought the farm. Literally, we sold the family farm for a remarkable price and very fast. It took us all by surprise, but it was a good outcome for a touchy subject. Some of the family thought the farm should stay in the family. But that was not realistic. And no one person in the family could have matched the price we eventually accepted. Of course, this has once again raised the spectre of a few disgruntled siblings among the beneficiaries. It's exhausting and time consuming dealing with their messages, insults, and accusations. Being still under the weather doesn't help. Judging from history with this bunch, we can expect this to go on for awhile. As a result, I'm also losing sleep again which just makes the cough and general malaise worse. 

I just can't seem to get well and I can't seem to get finished unpacking. It makes it hard to enjoy being in the new house. But I will say one thing: having no stairs has been life changing. I'm having so much less pain.

 Oh, and the new washer and dryer got delivered and set up. I'm happy to have my laundry room right on the same level and so accessible. Yes, these are definitely improvements I'm already enjoying.

I'll get done. It will take me a few more days, maybe a week, I'm sure. But at least my bedroom is done and all pulled together, so I have one place in the house that feels peaceful. Something of a sanctuary while I recover and try to get settled.


No comments: