Monday, February 5, 2024

Settled - more or less

It has been a long slow slog, with some hiccups along the way. But I've finally got everything put away and all the rooms set up enough to feel settled now. I've done a fair job of getting things in a place where the house feels homey and things are convenient to me. Time to transition from settling, to living and enjoying!

I did, unfortunately, injure my back while moving some heavy furniture while trying to rearrange the living room. It kept me down for five or so days. Then one day, I just woke up pain free. But I've been cautious ever since and have called on my family when a task is more than I should take on alone.

It is so nice being so close to the kids. They run over here often and I run over there as well. We have dinners together and just hang out and help each other. And I am definitely benefiting from single level living, with a smaller house and yard. This has fulfilled my needs for downsizing perfectly. I feel up to the task of caring for everything myself.

With a week of warmer weather last week, I was checking out the yard, and planning in my head where I will plant flowers. I have two raised beds that would be great for vegetables. But I'm probably going to use them for a perennial garden. There's an area of grass that has died out, mostly due to shade, I think. I plan to remove the remaining small patches of grass there and will put in mulch, a few shade loving plants, and maybe one of those patio swings with a canopy.  The small yard is a mix of sunny and shady areas, but definitely a lot of shade. I'm getting excited for warmer weather. For now, I'll plan and dream.

This week I will clean the house top to bottom. I've been here over two months, and the cleaning so far has been hit and miss. It will feel good to have everything clean and fresh. And I can then establish a new routines for maintenance, similar to what I had at my old house.

Oh, I still want to get into closets, cabinets, and drawers, and organize and get rid of even more. I tried to do a bit of organizing while I was settling, but some things just got stuck in a closet for me to think about later. I view this as just routine house maintenance stuff though and for now it's all out of sight and out of mind.

I decided not to post pictures of my house now. I feel ready to have guests, but not necessarily to post pics online. I've developed an anonymity here, having given my address to just a few people. And I'm embracing a low profile life. I suspect I'll be wrapping up this blog soon as well. My next phase of life has commenced and I'm not sure what blogging I'll do after this.

We'll see.

No comments: