Saturday, April 17, 2010

It's true, getting old ain't for sissies

Spent a few hours of work with my son and daughter-in-law digging weeds and grass out of flower beds and spreading bark mulch as they prepare to sell their house.  Had lunch, came home, and crashed.  Slept for about an hour and woke up aching everywhere.  It's so frustrating to me to lose endurance, strength, energy, and then to hurt like crazy on top of all that.  I want to be able to work as hard as I always have in the yard, but I'm hitting a wall and I am reluctant to admit it.  For now, my plan is to pace myself - not make a marathon out of it.  And continue to hire help with the heavy lifting. 

And I need to remember, it's been a very sedentary winter for me and these first days outdoors are bound to be taxing.  As time goes on, it will get easier.

UPDATE:  Two hours later, and doing much better.  Pulled myself together and got out to do some errands.  I'll admit to taking a couple of Advil first, and that had to have helped.  While at Lowe's, I purchased a little garden wagon that is more my size than my big wheelbarrow (currently being borrowed by my son and possibly permanently to be left with him).  I bought bags of top soil and steer manure for the small garden along my patio.  Irises I planted last fall are already coming up there and I will plant some dianthas in there right away as the deer don't seem to like those and they will tolerate whatever cold temps we still have coming this spring.  I managed a stop at the liquor store and grocery store while I was out, made it home and got everything put away except the wagon which I need to assemble.  Whatever my other limitations, clearly I still have what it take to shop.  Tonight I'll watch a movie and relax.  Up early in the morning to prepare that little garden and maybe assemble the wagon.  I have some fun things planned in the evening, so I'll remember to pace myself in the yard.  Next week, I call Alberto again to come and help me with some more things.

In the morning, I'll try to get a picture of the daffodils, they are starting to look pretty and it's so nice to have something blooming.  Eight deer crossed the road in front of my car this evening just two houses down from mine.  Most of them are babies  Oh my, a population explosion.  My poor flowers!  They've even started eating the day lilies.

2 comments:

JBinford-Bell said...

After my ski accident I ran up against the wall of not being able to do as much as I wanted. Then I remembered my dad, who had RA and kept on keeping on.

He said you just have to be smarter when strength wanes. Now when I face a problem that seems to be beyond my physical endurance or strength I remember him. One thing about getting older is we are smarter. And fortunately with an aging population the hardware industry has invented things for us.

And never under-estimate the power of a nap.

Glad you mentioned winter. Because we were all more idle and so spring has to be conditioning time.

Ien in the Kootenays said...

Have you discovered the joys of the Epsom Salt bath? Pure magic for sore muscles, with or without an essential oil added. Try it, just before a nap or at night is best. And a dear friend of mine combats her owies with an excellent liniment that is better for you than advil. I have NO personal interest in this. Find it here http://flyinghandsfarm.addr.com