Monday, September 6, 2010

My Labor Day Vacation


I have a lot of vacation time - we call it PTO (personal time off) -- accrued at work.  And since there's a limit to how much we can accrue, I decided to use some in conjunction with the Labor Day weekend and have six days off in a row.

The time off has been absolutely wonderful and has confirmed that I'll have no problem filling the retirement hours when those days come.  There is so much I want to do.

This morning I've been trying to think specifically what I've done each day.  I know I had a couple of nice bike rides; one on the Legacy Parkway bike trail and one on the Jordan River Parkway trail.  Have visited with friends and made a new friend.  Have eaten out a few times.  Have watched movies both at home and out.  Have puttered around the house and yard.  Got a nice jump on the fall with some weeding, transplanting, and new plantings.  Did a pretty major pruning of a pine tree yesterday which convinced me to hire the landscapers to do the rest of the trees.  And I have been just plain lazy, too.  Yesterday morning, the three little fawns and a couple of does made an appearance.  I hadn't seen them in a couple of weeks, so I just sat very still on my front porch for about an hour - yes an hour - while they wandered from house to house nibbling on trees, plants, grass.

Today is the last day of my vacation, and I'm going birding up north - Salt Creek, Bear River, maybe Antelope Island on the way back, or at least Farmington Bay, just to see what birds are migrating.  I spotted a wonderful Lazuli bunting in my yard a couple of days ago.  I used to see them often, but that was years ago and I don't remember the last time they visited.  I'm eager to get out and see some birds.

And that's that.  Six days have flown by, and as vacations go, very restful and satisfying.   I feel refreshed, renewed, energized and ready to get back to work.  Here are pictures of my Labor day yard.

No comments: