Saturday, February 2, 2013

Groundhog Day

Today, Punxsutawney Phil didn't see his shadow, which is supposed to mean an early spring.  Of course, the funny thing about that little tradition is that if he does see  his shadow, we will get six more weeks of winter--that's supposed to be a worse case.  Now count the weeks from now until the official first day of spring: seven weeks.  So early spring or six more weeks, both seem to be earlier than the official first day of spring.  But let's not quibble.  Groundhog Day always reminds me of one of my all-time favorite movies.  

I could watch this movie over and over and . . . but since it's not available by streaming on Netflix, I'll settle for this nice summary. I especially liked the analysis at the end about the difficulty we have of living in the moment. So true.
I've had my own minor existential crisis this past month.  And I hate that I've had to waste a precious month of life on that.  But I guess sometimes you just have to get through things until they are over.

February has brought warmer temps, melting snow, and sunny days.  Although the haze and inversion are already setting in again, but this time they are not expected to last more than a few days.  A little breeze around Wednesday will clear out the air again.

With these changes, my mood has improved greatly and I finally feel like a functioning human being.  I'm still off balance about my identity as a non-working person, but at least I can make myself get off the couch now. I will take it a day at a time and hope to continue on a positive track. 

2 comments:

Ien in the Kootenays said...

The picture above this blog is stunning. Groundhog Day/Imbolc marks the end of the Dark Time. We really notice it here.

Bekkieann said...

Thanks, Ien. It does feel like we've turned a corner.