Sunday, October 6, 2013

A Year of Sorrow

And another husband of a close friend has died.  Sydney was 91 and frail, yet remarkably active.  He was so proud of his garden and fruit trees he'd been nurturing along for several years.  He was an accomplished artist and sculptor--the only one I've known who was actually able to support himself with his art.  A recent fall and complications were just too much for his already frail body.  Still, he had seemed strong just recently and they were happily planning a trip to England and France next year for the D-Day commemorations.

This brings to three (out of five) the husbands of our old Reel Women movie group who have died just this year.  I add to that my much-missed internet friend, and the toll is almost too much.

My friends need me to be a strength to them right now.  So I will somehow be that.  Even though all this loss makes my own loss from a few years ago feel fresh again.

At my age, 65, you expect some loss.  You acknowledge we are getting older and  none of us will live forever.  But this is a lot in one year.  Now I just look forward to the end of 2013.  This is not a year I want to remember.

3 comments:

Ien in the Kootenays said...

Sorry to hear that. Yes, we are getting to that age. I appreciate each day that we continue in our pleasant routine, knowing it can't last.

troutbirder said...

I haven't lost any really close friends lately but several are coming close. I think of my ninety some year old father who when I asked him about his friends replied "they're all dead."

Bekkieann said...

Ien, I think you have the right attitude. I have today and I'll just go with that for now.

TB, that's sad. My 88-year-old dad says much the same thing. I am lucky, too, that both of my parents are still living in their 80's.