Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Just when you think nothing will ever surprise you again . . .

 . . . your daughter and her boyfriend get married secretly (today) and then announce it to the world on Facebook.  Nope, didn't even call mom first.  I had to read it on Facebook.  They knew I would and they thought it would be fun and funny. 

And it was sort of funny.  I'm reading the News Feed and see familiar Zach and it says Zach and Jenn are married, and I'm thinking, "I know that."  And then I realize I DON'T know that, and read it again.  Ho-ly smokes!  And then I'm on the phone to my daughter.

It's not how I imagined my daughter's wedding at all.  But it's not about me after all, now is it?  And as she points out, it's exactly how her father and I were married -- secretly, telling no-one until afterward.  But we didn't announce it on Facebook.  Although, as Jenn pointed out, "You would have, mom, if you had had Facebook."

And so maybe I would have. 

I'm thrilled and happy for them both.  Zach is a great guy and I have felt for a long time as if he were part of the family.  This just makes it legal and official.  I couldn't be happier about it.

Still . . . just getting used to the news. 

7 comments:

Michael said...

Hi B....wow, not sure how I would have reaacted to reading of such a happy event. Of course the main thing is that you approve and enjoy having a son in law......just as I feel sure he will enjoy having you for a mum in law. My best wishes to the newly married couple.

Bekkieann said...

Thanks for the good wishes, Mick. All is well. My daughter knows she and Zach both have my support no matter what. We do get along great already. I'm really quite happy they're married.

JBinford-Bell said...

I do wish them the best since you approve but I think it might have been more appropriate to announce the intended wedding on Facebook and then invited Mom to be a witness at least at the marriage of her daughter.

Course you could always give them a lovely small reception in that new kitchen of yours to invite the non-Facebook friends to celebrate.

Bekkieann said...

I do understand their reasons. These kids are very non-traditional and they view marriage quite differently that most of os. But our relationships are not harmed in any way. I love and adore these kids. We are talking about a nice party at my house when the weather improves so we can use the outdoor area too.

The Blog of Bee said...

Like mother, like daughter! I can see the funny side of it - in your shoes I may have gone into a decline!!

The main thing is that they are happy and that you approve the couple has your blessing. Just think - no one to cross off the invitation list so there won't be any people offended that they weren'y invited!

Congratulations to the happy couple and to you.

(So you won't have an excuse to buy an new outfit then??? Shame!)

Bekkieann said...

Haha, Bee. That won't stop me from buying a new outfit! Who needs an excuse? :)

Thanks for your good wishes.

The Blog of Bee said...

Haha, Bee. That won't stop me from buying a new outfit! Who needs an excuse? :)

You're right - a woman after my own heart! Open the gin bottle...