Thursday, March 21, 2013

Salt Creek Again

I wanted to get up there before the Tundra Swan migration had passed us.  Watching the grandkids every day makes my time limited during the week.  And the weekend just didn't work out for me.  So, I took off Tuesday after the parents got home from work.  The nice thing about daylight savings is that the sun goes down later and you can make trips to locales even an hour away.  Well, more like 45 minutes.  It gave me time to spend an hour just taking in the sights and sounds of the swans and still make it home by sunset.  I can't express how soothing it is to watch and listen.  I took a few pictures at the start and then just sat quietly soaking up the ambiance.

Also saw many hundreds of Canada Geese, mostly in the fields, many paired off. Also Sandhill Cranes, lots of ducks (Northern Pintail, Northern Shoveler, Mallard, Ruddy Duck, Gadwall, and non-duck American Coot, were all I could name). Great Blue Herons, many gulls and one Golden Eagle.

Tundra swans with pintail ducks and coots.
 Canada Geese in the fiels.
 A peaceful place to spend an hour.

No comments: