Sunday, March 3, 2013

Serendipitous Photos

I made another trip to Cache Valley yesterday searching for the Snowy Owl, which at this point hasn't been reported for almost a week.  Perhaps he has gone north with the slight hint of warming temps.  I spent hours in the haze over the wetlands--the sun trying to shine through made the scene almost blindingly bright.  I took no pictures of the hundreds of geese, nor the ducks, hawks, larks, or heron. Instead I took only shots of the bleak yet beautiful landscape all around me.

Going through my photos later, I found two I had taken of two sides of the same tree.  On a whim I tried fitting them together, and they joined almost seamlessly.  I could not have aligned two scenes more perfectly if I had tried.  And that's what I will share from my trip. Two photos joined side by side to provide a serendipitous panoramic view of the wetlands at the Benson Marina, Cache Valley, Utah.

Today the temperatures are warming still and rain is now falling instead of snow. It will take a long time to melt the four-foot deep piles on the sides of the driveway, but the thaw has finally begun.

Nope, I didn't see the owl, nor the blue jay in Smithfield.  I met some nice birders and we exchanged phone numbers in case either of us got lucky spotting the owl.  For trips like this, I need some new equipment: a spotting scope.

2 comments:

troutbirder said...

Huh! You coulda fooled me with that serendipitous tree. Is that a new kind of hybrid?

Bekkieann said...

Haha, some kind of magic photography for sure. How I framed two such pictures that aligned perfectly is beyond me! If I tried the rest of my life, I'd never be able to do it on purpose.