Sunday, December 8, 2013

Utah Snowstorm, December 7 and 8, 2013

I don't mind a weekend snowstorm.  I don't usually have any place I'm obliged to be.  Weekdays are difficult because I need to be at my son's house by 6 a.m. to take care of the grandkids.  Utah got quite the storm this weekend.  In fact, St. George in southern Utah even got 8 or 9 inches of snow and will barely make it up to freezing temps today--very rare for them.  We've been below freezing for days now and had one earlier storm that left a few inches.  This one added maybe 10 inches here on the North Salt Lake hillside.  Some of that was lake effect.  But it was not a problem.  After coffee and relaxing, I finally bundled up and took on the driveway.  My neighbor Nils helped out with the very deep hard slush the snowplows had pushed into the entrance of the driveway.  Another neighbor, Tim, ran his snowblower the length of all three of my sidewalks.  Still it took me an hour to clear the main part of the driveway.  I'm just happy I can still do this at my age; and hope to be able to keep it up for some time to come.

We are still not expected to get up to freezing for a few more days.  This is unusual weather this early in the season.  It's technically not even winter yet for a couple more weeks.

2 comments:

troutbirder said...

Yikes. That's a lot of snow piled up and heavy at that.... Here there is an upside to lots of snow, because without it in Jan. last year our septic line froze and didn't thaw out till March. Now that was ugly.....

Bekkieann said...

Unfortunately, we haven't even been up to freezing in many days. Overnight we are in the single digits; in the daytime int he teens or 20s. Ugh, I'm getting very tired of the cold. Hoping we see some improvement soon.