Monday, March 24, 2008

Moving mountains

Whoever dreamed up the phrase "making mountains out of mole hills" never met the gophers that live in my yard.

One of the advantages of working from home is that I can spend 30 to 45 minutes of my lunch hour working in the yard, then make a quick sandwich and back to the computer. Today my task was to move all the dirt piled up by gophers. Seemed easy at first - they bring up mostly sand and it was an easy matter to load it into my large wheelbarrow. Two problems. 1) The wheelbarrow then was too heavy for me to move, and 2) it had two flat tires.

This is a very cool wheelbarrow, I bought it especially because it was one I could drag instead of push and it worked very well for me. When it had inflated tires. I had a can of Fix-A-Flat in the garage, but maybe it had been there too long as it didn't deliver anything to the tires when I followed the instructions on the can.

So I resorted to loading a bucket from the wheelbarrow and carrying it across the patio to the apple tree where I'm getting some erosion and piled it there. It took all my allotted lunch time and now it's time to get back to work. But I did manage to move the largest pile of dirt. And really those gophers helped me a bit as I did need some soil to fill that eroded area, and I won't miss it at all from the myrtle bed where it originated.

Now, I must get those tires fixed as I plan to have a truckload of bark delivered and I'm going to need a functioning wheelbarrow.

No comments: