Saturday, March 22, 2008

The robins are back

Noisy creatures. Long before the sun is up - chirrup, chirrup, chirrup, chirrup. They keep an eye on me when I'm working in the yard, making bird comments to one another. I think they are nesting nearby again, though so far it doesn't appear to be in the apple tree. That turned out to be a very vulnerable location.

But they are busy with their spring tasks and so am I. Last night I raked through half of the myrtle bed and today will finish that. I'm debating killing all the myrtle and putting in nothing but bark and trees. Last year one lovely yucca volunteered. Now I have three or four baby yuccas with it. An earlier volunteer I tried transplanting with no success, so I have to decide whether to cultivate these where they are. If so, I must kill some of the myrtle as yuccas and myrtle cannot co-exist.

The work to be done is overwhelming. But I focus on a few square feet at a time. That's the only way to do it. Some things I can only hope to maintain. Others I will try to change. It's a very gradual process. But I am one determined woman and will do whatever it takes to get it done - eventually.

No comments: