Tuesday, March 3, 2009

A week without Dish TV - it's worth it

So it's been over a week since I canceled Dish Network TV, switching to strictly channels I can catch with a little antennae I purchased -- 24 channels to be exact. The adjustment is complete. The local channels are fine and I'm finding some interesting channels, particularly some foreign channels. Tonight I watched a French movie (English sub-titles), a mystery and rather good. This "MHz" channel is becoming my favorite.

As for cable news, I can watch all the MSNBC evening programs almost as soon as they finish their first broadcast by pulling up the videos online. These programs repeat two or three times throughout the evening, and in the past I would sit down for parts of them. But now I can pick and choose the segments I want to watch. It's a better use of my time and I still get to see my favorite cable news programs.

And now I'm saving $72 a month. I couldn't be happier.

2 comments:

troutbirder said...

Good move. I wish I had the willpower. Two hundred channels and less that a dozen (rarely) worth watching. Olberman and Maddow yes. The Twins baseball. Once in a while Animal Planet. History channel USED to be good. Now just junk. Mmmm. I gotta think about this. Thanks

Bekkieann said...

I'll admit I was addicted, and I still find myself sometimes thinking to switch the channel and then realizing I don't have those channels anymore. I only miss the home improvement shows as they were a staple for me and there are tons of them. The benefit to me is that I'm reading more, playing my piano more, and just in general spending more time in other parts of the house puttering around.

Think about it. It took me months to make the switch (actually more than a year).