Monday, February 27, 2012

Update - reconfiguring plumbing

I think these posts are helpful to me in keeping track of what was happening at what date.  So I thought this would be a good time to write an update of remodeling progress.  There is much chaos and much going on in the basement right now.  The garage remains nearly finished, but will get new doors a little later.  Since there will be some sheet rock work involved to close the openings where the garage door opener cable runs, I told the contractor it would be perfectly okay to wait and do that work when they were doing other sheet rock in the basement, just to make it more convenient for them.  The doors will come after that.

The demolition on Friday was slightly unnerving.  Jackhammer in the basement for several hours as they broke up the floor to gain access to plumbing pipes.  They encountered (as they always do) some issues with the pipes, and had to go a little farther than they expected.  But it does give me some peace of mind that we were able to head off some problems by taking care of those issues now.  By the end of the day the hole was filled in with dirt, and after some additional plumbing work, a new cement floor will be poured.

However . . .

I had been told there was no room for a shower in our little powder room; that it would have just a sink and toilet.  But in shopping for washers and dryers and having determined I am definitely getting front load, I learned you can STACK all front load washer/dryers.  By doing so, I free up enough space to put in the smallest size shower.  So this morning I've been on the phone with the contractor who is talking to the plumber and we are quickly discussing plan B.  I had been fretting all weekend about what a mistake it would be not to do a shower if it was possible.  Now it's looking like it is and we will do it.

In other areas, the fireplace is getting attention.  I've had to make decisions on rock, mantle, hearth, and the niche we are planning for above the mantle.  Tomorrow the gas insert will be installed.  I'm very excited about that and think the fireplace is going to be absolutely wonderful.

Progress also continues in reconfiguring doors and closets and doing some additional framing and sheetrock.  The new electrical panel (breaker box) is installed as are the canned lights in the family room.  There's a little more wiring to be done.

In all, it's dirty and quite a mess right now and causes me sleeplessness from just the sense of so much chaos and so many people working in the basement.  I'm so accustomed to being alone and having such quiet in my house.  So I'm feeling fatigued and a little stressed all the time.  But things are definitely moving along and the dirtiest work is behind us.  And I feel better knowing a good decision was made today.

No comments: