Thursday, July 26, 2007

Rain, Glorious Rain!

Last night it rained really hard for more than a half hour, and then rained off and on for many hours after that. The ground got such a good soaking. Tonight, it rained for over an hour. It makes me so happy -- free water from the sky! Since I have to water with culinary water, my water bills can be very high, and rain, to me, is just like dollar bills falling from the sky. I've practiced tough love with my yard this year, only watering every other day despite the long dry, hot spell, and have managed to conserve water and save money. Most of my drought tolerant plants have come though well, though a little faded in color and some of the blooms a little smaller. The grass is the worst, getting yellow in spots. But I don't worry about the grass. It's hard to kill grass. But everything is perking up now and I bought three new cone flowers when I was at Smith's. Every time I go to Smith's, I look at the garden shop for a bargin plant or two and then stick them in the ground. They nearly all grow and do just great. I'm not normally much of a shopper -- except when it comes to plants for my yard.

Got the car in to the shop today to get the bearing fixed. The part won't be in until tomorrow, so I'm stuck at home without wheels. But it has been a pleasure watching this lovely rainstorm. What a precious thing is rain.

No comments: