Saturday, August 11, 2007

Authority Figures

I'm trying to fix the mailbox. The mailman left me a note because it is loose and twists around (the passing schoolchildren have helped it along). So I found some angle brackets and screws and attempted to secure it to the post. However, the box is mounted on a piece of flat wood so hard it might as well be concrete. I could barely make a dent with the drill and screws. The post itself was nice and soft and didn't even require pilot holes. So it's more secure than it was but still wobbly. I put some shims in to stabilize it temporarily and I'll have to go get a new piece of wood to mount it on.

It's funny I am a little afraid of the mailman and his terse note threatening to cease delivery of my mail if the box isn't fixed in one day. He's a sort of authority figure, I guess. One of those people you don't necessarily respect, but realize they have power over a piece of your life and you'd better do what they ask. So I wrote a little note back to him pleading for a day or two to get a permanent fix made, and hopefully the temp fix will be okay until then. So when I finish watering the yard, I'll be off to Home Depot looking for a piece of wood.

The yard has rebounded from the hot, dry weather but has entered the late summer stage early. I tried to catch a hummingbird in this picture but was both too late and too soon. I love seeing the hummingbirds. The Russian Sage and Agastache are now the stars of the show. There will be more and more deadheading to do now and things will start to die down. I still have one more deep purple plant that will bloom a little later if the deer haven't already eaten the buds.

I saw the little fawn again this morning. I watched a long time as she nibbled around the edges of my across-the-street neighbor's lawn. When cars drove past, she'd become alert but would not run away. She is very tame and not very afraid of things that should scare her.

Sometimes I feel that way myself. I find myself trusting and not paying attention to potential dangers, but nevertheless feeling an instinct under the surface that maybe I should run. Ah, I am world weary today. I think a half day in the yard will suffice and then I'll go visit my parents and see if I can help them with their computer.

No comments: