Saturday, August 25, 2007

Two Bucks

At 7:30 a.m., getting a little watering done in the yard, I'm playing the piano and singing some tunes in between sips of coffee, when I see a deer crossing the street in front of my house. But this was not the doe nor fawns I've been seeing all summer. It was a 3-point buck. It wandered to my neighbor's front yard and joined its 4-point friend. They casually ate apples that had fallen on the ground, and passing drivers seemed not to notice nor even slow down to look. I had enough time to find my camera and batteries to snap a few shots (albeit through a window), but missed the 4-point and only got the two of them as they disappeared over the hill into the gully.

Every time I think about how much work it is to take care of my big yard and house, I am rewarded with some of nature's best surprises--it is all worthwhile.

No comments: