Saturday, November 10, 2007

Kindred Spirits

I have always loved reading and from way back had my favorites that I would re-read often. One of those in my adolescence was Anne of Green Gables. I was thinking about that awkward and sometimes ill-fated young girl recently. There are some beautiful lessons in that book that very possibly helped to shape my own views of the world -- including a feeling of optimism in times of difficulty. Though my concepts of a pre- or post-existence to this world are scant, I love her belief in "kindred spirits", people with whom you have an instant connection as if you've know them all your life -- or perhaps in another life. I feel sure there are kindred spirits in my life -- people whom I trust easily, with whom I share unspoken understanding, who give just the right amount of love and comfort when needed without coddling. Some of these kindred spirits go way back. Like my dear friend Celia, whom I've known for over 50 years. Some of these kindred spirits drift into our lives only briefly and drift out again.

I enjoy and appreciate all kinds of people and have very few personal conflicts with individuals. But I am well aware that once in awhile you meet a person who resonates with you somehow, and you feel a certain non-physical (so, therefore, spiritual?) connection with that person.

I read that women are sensitive to the subtle energies emanated by other people simply due to the fact that our bodies are so closely tied to the rhythms of the earth, the tides, the moon, making us more receptive to such energies. Maybe so, I don't know. I only know I have a sense sometimes of something more when I meet someone, and I go back to that kindred spirit idea. I am lucky to have such kindred spirits around me. They lend me strength and courage, comfort and kindness, and a feeliing of never being of alone.

No comments: