Sunday, January 11, 2009

Words to live by

To repeat from 2008:

Life is short,
Break the rules,
Forgive quickly,
Kiss slowly,
Love truly,
Laugh uncontrollably,

And never regret anything that made you smile.


Two weeks of graveyard shift have given me a different perspective - sort of like Alice climbing up on the mantel slipping through the looking glass, and turning around to see the living room all arranged in the opposite way. It's as if seeing not just the furniture, but also people and even myself from that opposite perspective. Now that I have finished that shift, I find it difficult to return to the other side. I want to sleep in the day and wake at night -- perhaps to continue to observe the backwards world and try to figure out what's going on there.

Then today I read a friend's blog about credo and it reminded me of my positive approach to 2008, and I wondered what was preventing me from feeling that same sense of hope. I am somewhat weary in body and mind. To be sure there have been some losses this year. And some recent events have raised the spectre of my divorce, my old marriage, and the associated hurts. There is business I need to complete to close that door once and for all. This has to move to the top of my to do list.

Tomorrow I'm back to work in the daytime and ready or not, I'll have to break this jetlag lethargy and become daytime functional again. And the practical, pragmatic me will take over with less time for introspection and more focus on getting things done. Good for what ails me.

No comments: