Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Selected Shorts - Isaiah Sheffer, 1935 - 2012

I don't know how long Selected Shorts has been running on the radio, but I've been hooked on it for maybe a year or so.  I happened to hear it on Sunday evenings when driving back from birding -- something to keep me alert, awake while driving the sometimes long distances.  I enjoyed it but didn't really pay attention to what it really was.  Then I started to notice what I was listening to.  These were wonderful short stories written by a wide range of authors--well-known and not so much--read by such a variety of people--actors, actresses, authors, and others.  I was hooked.  Who doesn't love being read to? 

And then I started making a point to listen.  It comes on here at 7 p.m. Saturday, and is repeated on Sunday.  When other events prevent me from listening, I listen online where the five most recent broadcasts may be heard at any time.

Listen here.  I recommend "Great Beginnings" from October 21st as a particularly delightful place to start.

One of the joys of the program was listening to the introductions, segues and closings in the wonderful, warm resonant voice of Isaiah Sheffer.  I didn't know who he was really, until I learned this week, he had died November 9th.  I felt sad at this loss though I knew nothing about Isaiah.  So, I took the time to find out more about him.  You can read some at this link and this link.

They promise us the radio program will go on.  Of course it will.  It has a huge following.  Isaiah will be hard to replace.  His voice carried the certain warmth, humor, and reassurance of an old friend.  A tough act to follow for anyone.  I will miss that voice that brought me stories to make me laugh and cry and think. 

6 comments:

troutbirder said...

I must admit to be chagrined about this post because my ignorance of the subject reveals an increasingly narrowed mind. I've not listened to the radio for years as the increasing prevelance of "talk" radio and "preaching" turned me off. Would the program in reference be on PBS on Sunday night. I could stand corrected....
btw we checked out of migrating tundras on the Mississippp on Sunday.

Bekkieann said...

It comes on our local NPR station where I get all my favorite weekend fare. I'm with you on most talk radio--it drains all the joy out of a person. But I like public radio, both our local offering and national, as the subject matter is interesting, informative, and entertaining.

Cool about the swans, TB. I hope to get out on the weekend and see them in some real numbers.

The Blog of Bee said...

I have to link in later when I have more time and turn on the lap top. You have made it into a must listen to so I'mm looking forward to it.

Bekkieann said...

Let me know how you like the stories, Bee. They run the gamut. I've never been disappointed for the hour spent.

The Blog of Bee said...

I don't seem to be doing too well with the downloading

Bekkieann said...

I didn't actually download them, myself. I just listened online. Click on the link that says you can listen to the five most recent programs. http://www.selectedshorts.org/onair/

Maybe you'll have more luck just listening directly.