Thursday, September 18, 2008

Busted

Got pulled over for speeding in SLC yesterday. Got a ticket for 5 mph over. I deserved more. I couldn't argue with it. The officer thanked me for being so nice about it. What could I do? I was guilty and then some. It's painful to have to pay the fine. But maybe I'll be more responsible in the future. I tend to go a little too fast on the city streets. It's not a smart thing to do.

A friend introduced me to a term "cognitive dissonance". It's been bugging me ever since. Here's a good example, I like to think of myself as a "nice" and "law-abiding" person. Yet I exceed speed limits which not only breaks the law, but also possibly puts others in danger - not at all nice. That's cognitive dissonance.

So now either I need to change how I behave or change how I think of myself.

No comments: