Friday, September 26, 2008

My most-read post ever

Today I posted a little anouncement about Scrabulous.com on my RedStateBlues page. The very popular game site had mysteriously disappeared overnight. My first indication was when my Scrabulous partner emailed me saying he couldn't get into the site. Upon a little investigation I discovered the problem (explained on RedStateBlue). In looking at my web page stats, I notice I was getting a number of hits on my previous posts about Scrabulous, and I realized people were looking for answers. So I posted under the title "Where is Scrabulous". Boom, the hits started coming! My little web site easily stays within the limits of the free StatCounter, but today, I have exceeded the limit with hits on that one page alone. I cross posted to my book review site to try to pick up some of the traffic there, but got little relief. I googled to see what other sites came up high on a google search. I was in second place. I cross posted my information to Wiki Answers and to Yahoo Answers, and that has eased up some of the hits.

Not that I mind the traffic as I notice some of the visitors stick around and visit some of my other posts while they are here. And it's fascinating getting hits from Trinidad and Tobago, Australia, all over the U.S., Canada, and the United Kingdom. (Add Germany, Belgium, Netherlands, Poland, Norway, Sweden, South Africa, U.S. Armed Forces Pacific, Japan, Taiwan; so far nothing from the state of Alaska. I can't keep up with all the locations. Too many hits.)
But when you consider that an estimated half million people play Scrabulous every day, it's not surprising at all that a lot of people are trying to find out what happened to it.

I suppose this might very well be my 15 minutes of fame.

No comments: