Sunday, November 30, 2008

Darkness

The days become shorter and shorter. It is dark for a long time after I get up in the morning. It is becoming dark when I get off work, even if I only work till 4. I could get so much done in the summertime with daylight lasting much longer. The dark discourages me from my projects. Makes me want to snuggle in a blanket on my couch in front of the TV. It's not just the dark, it's the cold. After 60 years in this state, you'd think I would be used to this. But this year I feel more acutely aware of the dark and cold than ever before. Perhaps because many days can go by that I simply stay at home and don't have any human contact. This is a result of working from home, I know--the downside, I guess.

One bright spot is sitting by my patio door in the mid-day and watching the birds gathering at the feeders. The aggressive jays entertain me the most as they chase one another and fight over the peanuts I put out. I'm stingy with the peanuts as they are expensive. The jays seem to almost be watching for me to put them out as they are there within minutes cautiously looking around before snatching one and then flying off a ways to hide it. I haven't seen one actually eat a peanut yet, they just hide them. I tease them a bit by putting the peanuts in odd places -- even right by the door. They always find them and even if a little nervous about it, they'll even grab one by the door.

Nothing exotic yet at the feeders: Scrub jays, finches, black-capped chickadees, and juncos, with the quail cleaning up all the seeds that drop to the ground. We'll see more variety when the snow comes. Plenty of natural food around still.

No comments: