Sunday, June 14, 2009

'Shrooms


A rare sunny day this June. This is only the second sunny day we've had this month. More rain is predicted later today and for the next three, with a break coming finally towards the end of this work week.

Things are really growing in the yard, and I snapped a few quick pics to compare to earlier shots. The perennials always start from scratch every year, so a great deal of growth is seen by this time compared to this and this in May. The pink chintz has all faded now and when I shear off the dead blooms, I'll have a pretty green carpet. The Russian Sage is shooting up and is getting the first hints of it's purple tips that will last through the end of fall. The red Jupiter's Beard is at its peak now. These blooms will fade and be replace by red berry-like flowers that last into the fall. Daisies have started blooming, day lilies are just days away. Pincushion, coreopsis, ice plant, and some other I don't remember are blooming too. I planted bee balm against my better judgment and hope to see those in the coming weeks as well. By July the Hyssop should be putting out orange or purple trumpet flowers for the hummingbirds as will the Hummingbird Trumpet bush, of which I just planted two more.

And my walk around the yard today yielded some surprises as I appear to be growing a whole crop of a variety of mushrooms and/or toadstools (I couldn't tell you the difference). Enjoy, and as usual, click to view larger.




2 comments:

JBinford-Bell said...

Your yard is beautiful. Mine is being ignored. I don't seem to get my energy, no rain, and my list of fair tasks that must be done to mesh together in a way beneficial to the yard.

Got my weedeater out yesterday and it had to be charged. Did get some trimming done but the wind had come up by the time I was ready for the mower. I wanted to be able to do a layer of lasagna garden and newspapers, grass clippings and wind did not seem like a good combination.

Well, that is my excuse and I am sticking to it. I will just enjoy your lovely lawn and beds.

Bekkieann said...

Thanks, Jacqui. Some of the yard is coming along nicely. I conveniently did not take pics of other areas. Maybe I should so you won't be so impressed.

I have more grass clippings now after mowing last night, and I have an area picked out. But it's going to take some work to clear it out a bit first.

Don't worry, Jacqui, whatever we don't get done will just get covered with snow in the winter. That's always my consolation.