Friday, May 11, 2007

Fix the Sprinklers

Tomorrow is a busy Saturday so I'd better make this short. Gotta get the car inspected and snow tires removed. The yard needs much attention. I'll fix another sprinkler pipe, and mow the lawn. Later on I'll water. Also have about two dozen more plants to get into the ground, and the endless supply of weeds needs pulling. Later on I'll run up to Ogden to visit mom.

I never realized until recently that I could actually repair the sprinkler pipes myself. But it's easy. You need to know the size of pipe and fittings for the job, and you just cut a piece of pipe to the right length, paint the joining ends with primer and then glue (don't inhale). Then push them together and hold for 30 seconds. Then repeat for the other end of the piece, and repeat until all joints are glued. Screw in the sprinkler heads, using a riser if needed for height.

When you live alone, you find out you can handle a lot more than you could have imagined. First thing tomorrow I'll be digging a broken pipe and repairing it.

No comments: