Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Satin Dolls Reunion

The Satin Dolls are getting together for a little reunion party and private performance in August. Floyd sent a rehearsal CD and now I need to get serious about practicing. That hour and a half I spend every day commuting is great for practice, but it does get looks from other drivers.

The CD is a "minus" track with instrumentals only. I sing the alto part and it's a lot easier to sing alto when you have at least one other part with which to harmonize. But I'll practice a bit with the music at home before I hit the road. My recent singing has been lazy, easy, in a low range. But I'll be taking a solo in "Stormy Weather" that reaches the top of my range, so I'd better be ready for it.

We are no longer the energetic cute young (30 and 40-something) things we were when we originally performed together. But the reunion will be great fun and our audience will be just friends and family, so it will be a receptive, appreciative crowd. In those days, we wore black satin dresses most of the time, but we had one very sexy red costume that brought out the 'wild' in some of us! No idea what we're wearing at the reunion.

Soprano Gina, Second Corene, Alto Becky with the fabulous, incomparable Floyd on keyboards, we had a great sound, specializing in swing and jazz of the 30's and 40's, and every now and then throwing in more contemporary songs, like my favorite solo, "Come In From the Rain". We'll never have the voices we had back then, we can only hope to stay on key, in time, and in harmony now. But regardless of all that, I just can't wait to see my old friends again!

Maybe she's older, which wigs me
Over her shoulder she digs me.
Out cattin'
My Satin Doll.

No comments: