Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Robin Developments

Things are happening at the robin's nest. Papa robin has made an appearance and is bringing food to mom. Then both parents perch on the edge of the nest and peer in at the contents. I'm sure some hatching must be starting although I haven't heard any little peeps yet. The male robin is becoming aggressive towards me. He made a diving pass at me accompanied by loud chirping as I was hoeing weeds in the front yard at least 50 feet away from the nest. I've seen scrub jays do that to cats, but I've never seen a robin threaten a human.

The weeding went well, but I had hoped to get more done today. My list was too ambitious. But I am now exercising an abundance of caution--wearing gloves, watching where I step, stand, sit, where I put my tools and don't carry them with sharp edges facing me. I've become very aware of how reckless I am when working outside. Inside, too. How many times have I just about slipped on the top step going downstairs carrying something large. Now I pause at the top and check where the step is. I know more women my age who have fallen down the stairs. And I keep my cell phone in my pocket, just in case.

More weeding tomorrow. But I am actually making progress. And so many things are starting to bloom. Hot days ahead. I guess I'm through planting for now unless things cool down again.

No comments: