Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Ow, ow, ow!

I smashed my finger. I dropped a big rock on it. When pulling weeds in the parking strip, it's easier to get the weeds out by the roots if you move the rocks out of the way. But this one was too big for me, and I didn't have on gloves. It slipped and my finger was smashed between two rocks Ow! :(

I saw immediately I had quite a serious cut, so, being a mom all these years, I knew just what to do. Clean it, pour on some hydrogen peroxide, apply pressure until the bleeding stopped, then bandaid and ice. It still hurts a bit and it's ugly, but I think I'll live. And notice - I'm typing.

I wasn't sure just how serious this was or whether I would need stitches. And the first thing I thought about was "how am I going to type -- or play piano -- or work in my yard?!" And it's my right hand. But I am, in fact, typing. However, I think I'll stop now and let it rest. Remember the "RICE" first aid rule:

Rest
Ice
Compression
Elevation

No comments: