Saturday, June 23, 2007

Be sure to notice it

In his 1997 book, "Timequake", Kurt Vonnegut says, "My uncle,Alex Vonnegut . . . taught me something very important. He said that when things were really going well we should be sure to notice it. He was talking about simple occasions, not great victories: maybe drinking lemonade on a hot afternoon in the shade, or smelling the aroma of a nearby bakery, or fishing and not caring if we catch anything or not, or hearing somebody all alone playing a piano really well in the house next door.

Uncle Alex urged me to say this out loud during such epiphanies: 'If this isn't nice, what is?'"

As I sat on my deck today in the cool breezes of morning before sunrise, getting some water on my yard, reviewing some legal documents, and drinking coffee, a little brown and white bunny unexpectedly hopped across the road to my neighbor's house across the street, nibbled a little grass there, and then moved on. We don't get bunnies or even wild rabbits here much. If this isn't nice, what is?

I walked around my yard to see all the new things blooming this week, my hybrid day lilies, some black-eyed susans, and my very favorite bee balm looking like little bursts of red fireworks. If this isn't nice, what is?

No comments: