Monday, June 4, 2007

Weeding and the 80/20 Rule

A former boss always touted the 80/20 rule, 80 percent of the gain comes from 20 percent of the effort, and 20 percent of the gain takes 80 percent of the effort. Weeding definitely falls under that rule for me. So I focus on the greater gain for the effort and, thus, some weeds are always left. Every single night I force myself to go out in the yard and do at least 15 minutes of weeding. Little by little I'm gaining on them.
Here's my early June low-water garden. In bloom are the blanket flowers, speedwell, dwarf daisies, two types of coreopsis, that red plant (I can't remember its name). About to bloom are the day lilies, agastache (hyssop), pin cushion plants, and lavendar. Later on we'll get the shasta daisies, the Russian sage, and the exquisite bee balm. I planted more agastache, bee balm, and pin cushions last Friday, and they are thriving despite a very hot day today. Finished blooming is the lovely pink chintz thyme.

No comments: