Sunday, June 10, 2007

The end of the pansies

The dog kept barking all night, but she seemed fine, so I just kept telling her to be quiet and go back to sleep. Now I know what she was barking at: the deer. They finished off all but a few stragglers on my pansies last night. My lovely flower bed is decimated. I should have realized the dog was barking for a reason.

But the deer did not touch a single one of my drought-tolerant perenniels. So today I'll head down to the nursery and get perenniels and plant in amongst my pansies. Some of the pansies will bloom again and some of the perenniels will bloom this year. And next year it will be nothing but perenniels. That's a smart way to go anyway.

While weeding yesterday, I uncovered three volunteer yuccas in an area where I had a yucca garden many years ago. Last year I had one volunteer, but when I transplanted it, it turned completely brown. I'm not sure if it will come back. I'll have to read up on how to transplant yuccas as these three new ones will not survive amongst the myrtle/vinca. Myrtle trumps everything.

No comments: