Saturday, June 2, 2007

FireDogLake's "Pull Up a Chair"

Christy at FireDogLake has a regular Saturday morning post, "Pull Up a Chair", in which she writes some personal thoughts and invites readers to follow with their own thoughts. The topic is as likely to be a current events issue as new birds visiting the feeders this morning. I formerly enjoyed my Saturday morning 'cuppa' with the fast repartee of witty and erudite commenters. But lately I'm in my yard early and I've been missing this favorite treat. Catching up tonight, I was surprised with a YouTube video of the Beatles doing "Help". That took me back. The Beatles never fail to remind me of that feeling of having my whole life ahead of me - so hopeful, believing all good things would come my way. The words of the song seemed appropriate: Now my life has changed in oh so many ways.

Commenter NZ Expat, now in KS says it better than I can:

As much as I come for political news, though, I need and want narrative and character, so I appreciate knowing that egregious goes to Russia for her passion of saving newborn’s lives. And knowing about TRex’s cats and I don’t mind (too much) waiting for him to stop at the grocery store on the way home from work. And looseheadprop’s daughter’s fierce intelligence, and the legion of students that make music under ETeller’s tuteledge (and all of his amazing life). These wise and funny and caring people are not pundits, but far, far better. (oh, and all the recipes and gardening hints and specific ways in which people walk through their days - it is relevant and real. Observations here come through life, and not through the press releases and what one is “supposed” to think, according to the paymasters. It is quite a comfort to see the level of intelligence on this board and a good antidote to the anti-intellectualism of the White House and the Kansas Board of Education.)

No comments: