Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Day 1: Water Softener

Demolition is scheduled to start tomorrow, although they said it might slip to Thursday.  So you might think tomorrow is Day 1.  But it turned out today was.  I had nearly forgotten I'd ordered a new water softener until the plumber called me yesterday and said he was ready to install it.  And install it he did today.  Perfect timing really. 

I think I'm ready for the big day tomorrow.  There will be a dumpster in the driveway.  I'm not sure how long it will be there, but they said I can toss in anything I want while it's here.  There are a few more things in the garage that will go now.

The fridge will get relocated to the garage.  There's not much food in it right now anyway, but I'll be able to continue using it until the new one is delivered.  And then Utah Power will pay me $30 and will haul it away.  I don't know anyone who still has a harvest gold refrigerator.  It's more than 30 years old.

I still need to cover up my piano.  Just to keep all the dust out.  I know I'll have a big housecleaning job when this is all over, but I want to protect my piano from as much as possible.

My little temporary kitchen in the TV room is pretty convenient.  I have a microwave, coffee pot, toaster, electric teapot, and electric steamer, stacks of paper plates and bowls and plastic flatware.  Coffee cups.  Some food.

Picked up a few more cardboard boxes from the liquor store and, I managed to do a little Christmas shopping tonight.  I missed the president's speech.  I'll hear plenty about it I'm sure.

Think I'll hit the hay early tonight and get up early to finish those last few things.  I think they start at 8.

5 comments:

JBinford-Bell said...

What a deal! They pay you to haul it away! Here we have to pay to have it hauled and then $75 to deal with the freon in it. I rolled mine to the shed where I keep the mowers and I use it to keep those chemicals I don't want inside my house. Plus the oil for the mowers.

How long will you have to deal with your little temp kitchen? When I did my kitchen in North Carolina I thought I would be without a stove and sink for three days and it was over a month because they screwed up a cabinet order.

Bekkieann said...

Yes, Utah Power has this program to get rid of old, inefficient refrigerators. At first they offered $50, and then dropped it over time.

According to the projected timeline, I won't have a kitchen with running water until the week of Christmas. This week is demolition. Then electical and sheetrock this week and next. Floor tile is next week. Cabinets go in the week of the 14th. Staying on schedule depends on workers on individual tasks.

Bill S. said...

Good luck in keeping the dust off things. Dust is like mice - can't keep it out of anything.

Bekkieann said...

Bill, as bad as mice? Eeek! Seriously, I am already expecting the dust on everything and will do my best to keep up with it as things progress. But this year Spring cleaning will come early and will be a serious event, I believe.

Intelliblog said...

I know how you feel about the piano! I wrapped mine in blankets and sheets when we were renovating and managed to keep it in its pristine condition!