Monday, December 7, 2009

Day 6: Drywall, etc.

Had a houseful of workers today.  The drywall and first taping got done.  The ceiling is closed up and looks lovely.  They fixed the squeaks in the floor, closed up the old ceiling hole from the swamp cooler -- I really felt sorry for the guy that had to climb up into the attic.  Tomorrow, more taping, then painting, then more electrical, and then tile on Friday. 

I need to try to have lighting fixtures before then.  I don't know if I can do it.  But I found a local specialty lighting store that has several options that really appeal to me and are in my price range.  I hadn't considered them before as I just assumed their prices were too high for me.  But they do have lines that compare pricewise to Home Depot and Lowe's where I am finding only compromises to my preferences.  However, the items I found were online and they may not have them in stock.  Crossing my fingers.

The cabinets are on schedule for delivery next week and the cabinetmaker says he's ready.

My contractor is such a cool guy.  He offered to run a phone line for me into my new office and several other little things I need done, no charge.  That's just how he was with my exterior remodel a couple of years ago.  Taking care of a number of little things while they were here in addition to the big project.  Who ever heard of such a thing?

Well here's today's progress shot.

2 comments:

JBinford-Bell said...

I bet you are happy to have that hole filled in. Did they put batting for insulation behind it?

When I worked electrical with my ex-husband I always got the ceiling work. And the under the house work too. I was smaller. But it never seemed fair.

We also found that shipping in of light fixtures could be really fast via UPS. They know they are dealing with construction crews with time lines. So hoping you have the same luck. They have to float, texture and paint before they need them.

Bekkieann said...

Yes, they saved all the insulation and put it all back into place when the ceiling was back in. My house is cozy again. I think I may have three days total before the electrician comes back. I'm hoping the local company I found either has the items in stock or can get them fast. I'll probably have to pay for overnight or 2nd day shipping.

I'm fixated on a certain shape of glass shade for my dining room chandelier - sort of a rice bowl shape and preferrably inverted. Almost everything flares out at the edges. I don't know why I've latched onto this shape, but it's what I want. And it has to be white not amber glass. And I'm looking for bronze not brass or chrome or nickel. Would you believe online they had two different models that fit my wishes? If this snow lets up, I'll drive to the store on my lunch hour and find out what I can get.