Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Day 22: Granite! Plumbing! Oh, what a day!

Today brought surprises of the good sort.  I already had plans for a busy day.  My best friend of 50-some years was taking me out to lunch for my birthday, accompanied by her sister and their mom, who have all become such good friends.  And before that, we planned to decorate Christmas cookies.  And I figured I could squeeze in a trip to the driver's license bureau earlier to renew my license since it is due to expire on Sunday.  I got out the door early and found no waiting line at all -- in and out in 15 minutes -- at the driver's license bureau.  Returned home to kill a half hour playing Scrabble  before leaving to do the cookies.

And then the surprise.

Countertop guy called and said the granite was finished and they wanted to deliver it TODAY, around 2, he said.  I agreed to leave the house unlocked for them in case they arrived before I got home.  Then with some back and forth phone calls, my contractor said the plumber would like to come tonight to hook everything up.

So I hurriedly shoveled snow off the driveway and sprinkled salt everywhere to make sure nobody slipped, and then left to meet my friends.

So here we are a few hours later, cookies decorated, a fabulous lunch at Tuscany, one of the finest restaurants in Salt Lake, and then a dash home to find the granite just being carried into the house.  As we speak, they are drilling holes for the faucet and soap dispenser.  I'm so excited, I am almost in tears.

It is just beautiful.

I was planning on taking my son out to dinner tonight for his birthday (I know, but that's how things are this time of year when you have so many birthdays).  We'll be flexible on the time now as the plumber will be coming around 4.

Check back later as there WILL be pictures!
 --------------
Ok, it's later.  Took my son out to dinner for his birthday which is tomorrow.  It has indeed been a long day. Plumber couldn't make it and will be here in the morning.  Here is a promised pic.

5 comments:

Intelliblog said...

Oh dear! It's come along so well, Becky! I bet all the tradesmen want to get everything finished before Christmas! It all looks so beautiful (judging form the pictures you have put up already)!
I am sure that you will now enjoy Christmas even more!
Have a wonderful Christmas and much health and happiness in 2010!

JBinford-Bell said...

You must live right!

Bekkieann said...

Jacqui, I think Santa came early for me, and I haven't really been all that good, either.

Nicholas, thanks for those good wishes. I'm about as thrilled as it's possible to be right now. I hope you have a wonderful Christmas as well and I will look forward to more of your interesting blogging in the coming year. Best wishes to you and yours.

Bill S. said...

Looks beautiful - just in time for a hopefully Merry Christmas.

Bekkieann said...

Thanks, Bill. It's already pretty merry. I hope yours is as well. And all the best in the new year, too.