Sunday, December 27, 2009

Day 26: Getting organized

Yes, we skipped a couple of days. I actually used my kitchen on Christmas day, prepared a light meal and snacks. It was so pleasant, even though I had to dig through boxes every time I needed a bowl or a spoon, etc. The day after Christmas I cleaned out any remaining sawdust from the shelves and drawers and wiped the insides all down and then started moving things in. That has been a slow process, but I'm just about finished. I decided the thing to do was start with the things I used every day and put those in the most convenient places, and then work backwards to the least-used items and put those up high or at the back. I like my arrangement so far, and I still have a lot of empty space in the lower cabinets. I've moved things in that I had to store in a hallway closet because of lack of storage space for pots and pans and pantry. I still need to move in the baking pans and storage containers, but plenty of room for all. I'm delighted that I will get that hall closet back for keeping my vacuum and other cleaning implements.

Here's a peek at some of what I've put away so far.  I also have pots and pans in the deep drawers in the island.  Stirrers and ladles in the top drawer to the right of the stove, knives in the top drawer to the left.  Flatware in the drawer nearest the dining room.  Other utensils in the wide flat drawer of the island.  Still have many empty drawers and the lazy susan, bottom and top shelves of the pantry.  I'm stopping for the day to go out to dinner.

I have a backsplash dilemma.  More about that tomrrow.


2 comments:

heatherbelle said...

Wow...doesn't it look good..

JBinford-Bell said...

You must be in Hog Heaven.